As a publisher, author, speaker and trainer I know my strengths.
I can write decently. I enjoy helping others. What I am NOT good at is installing cPanel on my server. Nor am I proficient at installing a directory for a wordpress site for one of my books.
I’m not even sure what that is!
What I have learned, however, is that for $5 www.fiverr.com I can hire a techie in Pakistan, Croatia, India or SE Asia to do it for me. The only challenge is security. Do you TRUST someone you’ve never met to have access to your domain, website and proprietary information?
There is a way to do this and do it safely.
1. Be sure to create admin access only for your WordPress sites.
2. When doing domain transfers, many hosting companies do it for you for FREE.
3. Check references. My outsourcers are all verified and many work for larger companies. I may pay a bit more, but its worth it.
4. Look at their experience. I only hire people on fiverr.com who have dozens of reviews. Newcomers…sorry.
5. After an installation is done, change the password. This simple thing will protect you from malware and viruses, in case your outsourced employee used buggy software or didn’t use the appropriate security protocols to get you started.
I’m moving all of my sites over to Hostgator this week. You know what? I’m going to do everything I am suggesting here. In my next post, I’ll let you know how it went 🙂